In Leicestershire thousands of people are injured each year in falls. Apart from the pain, discomfort and inconvenience, the after effects of a fall can be life changing.
Experiencing a fall is a major concern for adults over the age of 65 and 35% of over 65’s will experience at least one fall in a year. This figure rises to over 50% for the over 80 age group.
If you are worried that you are at risk of falling, or you have a friend or family member who is at risk, speak to your GP, pharmacist, or care worker if you have one for further help and advice. Or take a look at our leaflet which has some top tips for reducing your risk of falling and a set of simple exercises you can do at home to help yourself stay active, stay steady.
You can also download our posters, one highlights the top tips to reduce the risk of a fall and the other has information and contact details if you need advice on making a referral to the falls service.
For more information about Steady Steps, the free, 24-week postural stability exercise programme for people aged 65 and over who are at risk of falling or who have previously fallen visit Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport (LRS). Pre-booking is required for all Steady Steps courses, so please contact your local course coordinator to check availability in your area.
For further information regarding falls and prevention contact your local council:
Leicester – visit leicester.gov.uk/asc or call 0116 454 1004
Leicestershire – visit First Contact Plus for information or to make a referral.
Rutland – visit ris.rutland.gov.uk or call 01572 722 577
Our top tips
Here are some top tips to help prevent falls.
Look after your feet
- Make sure your shoes/slippers keep your foot firmly in place. Avoid narrow heels, open backs or worn soles
- Eat healthily and regularly and always take your medicines on time and as prescribed.
Look after your eyes
- Have your eyes tested regularly – it’s free if you’re over 65
Stay active, stay steady
- Be active – try to do 30 minutes of moderate activity every day to help you maintain balance and muscle strength – this could be split into 3 x 10 minute sessions across the day
Look after your home
- Replace worn floor coverings, remove clutter and ensure your home is well lit
“I had a fall at a local country park and was pleasantly surprised that I could get up from the ground without using anything to assist me. I am also climbing stairs so much easier and faster than I used to before I came to classes.”
Mrs T, Blaby